Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Senator Lautenberg Response on Cluster Bombs

I wanted to pass along this response from Sentator Frank Lautenberg regarding the Cluster Munitions Civilian Protection Act":


Dear Mr. Ladutke:

Thank you for contacting me about cluster munitions. I appreciate and share your concern for innocent people who have been maimed and killed by cluster bombs.

Cluster bombs' wide-area coverage make s them particularly dangerous. These weapons are used in military operations but often fail to explode on contact , as- designed . They can remain in the soil long after the reason for their use has passed and the conflict h as ended . There are instances where such buried munitions end up harming innocent civilians.

I am pleased that the Senate included in the Fiscal Year 2008 State and Foreign Operations Appropriations Act a provision restricting the sale and transfer of cluster munitions . It also urges the President to take steps toward protecting civilians from unintentional exposure to harm . I supported this bill. Currently, the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations is reviewing the "Cluster Munitions Civilian Protection Act" (S. 594) which would permanently restrict the sale and transfer of cluster munitions . While I do not serve this committee , please be assured that I will keep your views in mind should this legislation come before the full Senate.

Thank you again for contacting me about this very important issue.

No comments: